Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

Is this real? Help

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the buying end of collecting. My small collection consists of gifts given to me. But now that I am out of college and have time to learn about the hobby, I want to continue collecting on my own. I want to start with something simple and relatively inexpensive since student loans are priority and I found a helmet dug from the ground. I don't mind the quality, because perhaps it has quite a story. What I don't know is whether the SS decal is fake or not. I have done a fair deal of reading on how to spot fakes, but its so much to absorb all it once that I feel I could easily overlook something. Any opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

All the best,

Aaron

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hello Aaron , which dealer is selling this ?

As I said in my e-mail ground finds are hard to authenticate , any marking or lot number can help. We know that some helmet factories did not produce for the SS.

unfortunately many ground dug helmets are upgraded to SS so that makes it even harder.

Maybe an above ground found Luftwaffe is a better option.

Hello Aaron welcome.

I am pretty sure that in this case (as well as others) even if the seller is a reliable one, he can't say if it's original or not.

Better to save some money. some combats are not so expensive

Good advice given

Save for a complete, collectible example

Thanks, D.

Quote from schwerpunkt73 on January 25, 2020, 9:40 pm

Hello Aaron , which dealer is selling this ?

As I said in my e-mail ground finds are hard to authenticate , any marking or lot number can help. We know that some helmet factories did not produce for the SS.

unfortunately many ground dug helmets are upgraded to SS so that makes it even harder.

Maybe an above ground found Luftwaffe is a better option.

The dealer is Stalingrad Front.

Quote from sysyphus on January 25, 2020, 10:04 pm

Hello Aaron welcome.

I am pretty sure that in this case (as well as others) even if the seller is a reliable one can't say if it's original or not.

Better to save some money. some combats are not so expensive

Thanks for advice. Any advice on where some inexpensive combat ones could be found.

Quote from GERManNYC on January 25, 2020, 10:20

Thanks for advice. Any advice on where some inexpensive combat ones could be found.

It is a question of looking around and having a bit of luck , inexpensive German helmets do not exist unless they have issues. If you are on a budget look for no decal M42 helmets complete , around 500 to 600 usd or Luftwaffe helmets , but they will be a bit more expensive.

Getting the budget up to 900 or a 1000 is also a good idea.

Quote from GERManNYC on January 25, 2020, 10:18 pm

Stay away. While I have never bought from them (I don't collect relics), they have been pointed out many times for selling a mixture of original and "enhanced" relics.

Probably OK buying a no decal relic from them but I would not touch anything with a decal. Just not worth the uncertainty.

There is a small local show coming up at the end of February in Freeport Long Island. Might be worth it to go and see what is for sale.   (I will note that the fake to original ratio is high, you sometimes come across some gems). But even then, real hands on experience is the best way to learn.

http://www.liahas.org/

Antique Arms show at the Freeport Recreation Center
130 E. Merrick Rd.   Freeport, NY  11520
Feb 22/23
Show Hours:    Saturday 9 AM to 4 PM
                         Sunday   9AM to 2 PM
Quote from GERManNYC on January 25, 2020, 10:18 pm

To echo what MAP has already said, i would recommend doing some research on Stalingrad Front and then drawing your own conclusions. They have featured on other forums, but not so much here as it is a new forum.

It's risky enough buying a relic SS helmet, so maybe start with something less faked?

If you have limited funds, you want to ensure you get maximum value and something that you are 100% comfortable is genuine.

Nick

Hi Aaron,

I am a relatively new collector as well on a (wife enforced) limited budget.
The above advice is very sound. I have taken the same advice and I’m saving for good examples of more common lids. Until I’m in a position to go more top shelf in due course.
Every collector needs a nice SD lufty lid or an ND M42 to start out. And as said good hands experience will pay off.
You will end up spending more by upgrading cheap not so great lids with better examples over time.
This forum is a fantastic resource and has saved me from a few potential mistakes.
happy hunting 👍🏼

Page 1 of 2Next