Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Large SD M35 Luftwaffe, Twin Lot No.

Hi All

It’s been some time since I’ve been on the site and even longer since I listed anything, but I have a bit more time just now.

You might remember, back in November ‘20 I listed a Q68 Luftwaffe DD M35. John (Panzerheld) also showed a helmet which was its ‘twin’ in many ways.

Since listing that helmet I’ve been able to pick up its literal twin – this is another Q68 Luftwaffe SD (ex DD) helmet with the same lot number as the helmet I listed in 2020. The lot number even has the same irregularities in the placing of the numbers.

It has a 1939 dated reinforced ally liner by Schubert Werk (same as the other one) but this is a size 60 liner with 8 tongues and is quite dirty. The split pins are un-messed with and it possibly has the original draw string to the liner.

The chin strap was originally brown (though very black now along most of its length). It has unfortunately been cut down a bit for some reason, but is still fairly long. No markings that I can see.

The first helmet has a faint dome stamp but I can’t see one on this – it either never had one or it’s faded with time.

Aside from the cut down chin strap the other significant flaw is that someone has re-painted the split pin heads and I’m pretty sure that’s been done post-war, which is a shame.

The eagle decal looks good to me – I’d welcome your thoughts. The national shield has been scratched away (leaving some small remnants) and I assume this was done during the war by its original owner.

It’s good to be back and I’d welcome any thoughts and comments.

Cheers

Andy

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hello Andy

The liner sits perfectly on the shell, nice cracking over the eagle; as for the tricolor it has been surely removed in the period time.

Pins: It looks indeed a weird "Humbrol" avio color on top of them. Is there any trace of this color over the shell around there?

Hi Andrea

Thanks for the comments. You can see some small traces of the paint on the shell just around the split pin heads. I do tend to think that this has been done post war but I felt the positives outweighed the negatives.

Cheers

Andy

Nice helmet all round Andy. Hard to say something about the pin colors , on your last photo it looks fine , in your other photos it sticks out.

Maybe do a photo session in good daylight of the three pins.

Thanks Frank

I'll have a go at photographing them outside tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy

Hi

Here's some close ups of the split pin heads plus a small area where there might be a trace of the paint too. I think they've been re-painted post war and I bought it on that basis. I guess 30 (or however many) years ago, this seemed like a good idea!

I feel the positives of this one outweigh the negatives - plus there's the bonus of it being a twin lot number with another helmet I own.

I would welcome all views on the split in heads and, of course, the helmet in general.

Cheers

Andy

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

If you got it at a good price the repainted rivets are not super detracting but I agree they are post war repainted.