Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

Luftwaffe Q62 no decal questions

Hi all,

this is my first post here and as such a short intro to me: I am 9th Flak, a relatively new Dutch collector living in the CZ republic. As the name kind of gives away I am mainly into Luftwaffe gear for my own collection. As I am quite inexperienced I have some questions to the helmet in the pictures.

As you can see it is a Quist in size 62, the lot number starts with N, which makes me wonder if it is supposed to be IN or DN as I do not see lots with N only under Quist.

The helmet itself does not come with a lot of information, I purchased it in Krautheim, Germany from a family there that had always had it. Krautheim is near Wuerzburg, which brings me to the strange markings in the inside of the leather: there are size stamps present and on both sides markings that seem to say: 5J (swastika image, size of font about 5mm) these markings do not ring a bell with me and I remind me of bring back markings on items by GI's, but I would love to know what you think.

The helmet itself seems to have been issued without decals although there is a white and black stripe visible far behind the vent hole.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

In all excitement I forgot to ask: what are your opinions on this helmet? War time piece or is the N lot number an indication of a Quist M40 produced after the war for example for the police?

🙂 any thoughts?

It's a wartime produced one , late 1943/44. Lot number is most probaby a DN one. It would not have received a decal anymore.

So all good there , the written markings probably something post war done by kids.

Welcome to our little forum 🙂

Thank you! Enjoying the content of the website and forum a lot. So many beautiful helmets 😅

Welcome to GHV !

Thank you @sysyphus!

I have a few Quist helmets and i've realised that a lot of the IN helmets are actually DN with a poorly stamped D.

I agree with everything else our webmaster Frank has said too.

Nice helmet and welcome to the forum.

nick