Please or Register to create posts and topics.

M35 helmet

Hello,

Greetings from The Netherlands.My name is Kris and new here,and hope to learn more about helmets.

i just found this helmet. It is stamped NS66 and E.10

I would like some info on this helmet please

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hello Kris, welcome to the forum. A bit hard to see details with these photos but I see you've notated the maker/size and lot number. It could be the lighting but the outside of your helmet looks painted gray and not quite stripped (I see some texture on the surface, not pitting) while the inside looks stripped to me. Please post more complete and better lit photos.

Hello Chris , can you share full liner photo and both sides of the helmet. Good photos are essential for an accurate evaluation.

hello,

thank you for your response!

this is the best i can do, unfortunately it is hard to get lighting correct to show the real color.

hope it is ok.

inside of the helmet apears to be paintless.liner is DRP 1940.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Looks repainted to me and a dark shade.  Not a period repaint either.  Could be lighting but I am not feeling the vibes here. Wait for more opinions.
Z

Its a bit grey/brown color..what is left anyway.Brown is probably the rust.Smells like old steel.had a lot of work cleaning it due to long,bad storage.All sorts of fungal lifeforms on the inside..hairy ones😂We will see what responses come in,thanks for yours Z👍🏻

Quote from krisvdw on February 1, 2021, 5:48 pm

Its a bit grey/brown color..what is left anyway.Brown is probably the rust.Smells like old steel.had a lot of work cleaning it due to long,bad storage.All sorts of fungal lifeforms on the inside..hairy ones😂We will see what responses come in,thanks for yours Z👍🏻

Well you can’t fake Fungal life forms :). So that’s a good sign

Z

The outside looks oiled which can have an effect on the color of the paint. Does look period painted to me but much of the paint looks gone.

If the liner band is the original one , can only be sure if one checks the pins inside , than this is probably a late 1943 or later reissue.

Collector value would be low considering its condition.

Thank you for your response,

going on the corrosion and oxidation of the internal parts it is the original liner/linerband.

most of the helmets i see these days are mostly overpriced or fake.A great deal consists of original parts but are put together.

i like this one because it has been like this for a long time and smells and look like history.

maybe not a collectors dream,but if it could only speak..

thanks again, for your answer and info!

Prices are what they are of course but plenty of good helmets to be found if one commits to the right price and knows what to look for and they have all been there and smell like history , usually the smell is for free 😉

The essence of a good collectable has nothing to do with price but with general appearance. There are ground finds which are generally a lot cheaper that can have good collector value too. It's finding those gems that gives satisfaction. My first helmets were also not like the ones I have today. Not because the first ones were cheap but because I didn't yet understand what the difference was between a one looker and an ordinary one.