Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

M40 Luftwaffe Helmet used by HJ soldier?

I bought this helmet some 15 years ago from a private seller in Italy.  The paint is heavily textured outside and perhaps a darkened green.  Inside is smooth and a dark blue.  Both inside and outside show some fine abrasion and I think this was done to remove light rust.  Inside is marked 'ET62' and 1 ? ? (unreadable) 9.  Liner looks undisturbed with reinforcing strengtheners either in place or loose on the string. Spit pins are loose but pins and liner shows no signs of being removed or tampered with. Strap is marked 'Rahm & Kampmann Wuppertal 1941'.

What surprised me when I received the helmet, not mentioned by the seller, were the markings on the inside of the liner - a hand written HJ badge, HJ initials and unit number (?).  On the opposite side there is evidence that a name has been erased and another 'BUNTROCK' written on in the same ink as the above markings.  Has anyone seen similar marking to these and should I doubt their authenticity?

Many thanks

Ramsgate88

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I don't remeber ever seeing a HJ badge written on a helmet. That said it could be indeed original also because i don't see the reason as i don't think it would increase the value of the helmet. (something i rather see when it comes with SS inscriptions).

Really  nice helmet , looks glossy may have received a coat of lacquer or oil. Always hard if not impossible to authenticate writing inside a helmet. But this is probably genuine , can't see the added value. Just seeing I am writing the same as my friend above.

Markings aren't usually mentioned unless they could add value which is rare.

Many thanks for the comments.  I find the helmet writing interesting as it suggests a story to be found behind the item.  It would be good to understand the unit marking 2/61 - does it relate to the Luftwaffe or HJ?

Hello,

I am new here (Hello), the inscription means it was a

" Luftwaffenhelfer HJ"

also "Flakhelfer"

(Helper for Airforce HJ)

or (Helper for Antiaircraft gun) ,

Number 2/61 belongs to Luftwaffe.

Link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakhelfer

Hope it helps.

regards 06022020

Thank you 06022020 for the information - very helpful.  Records may exist about the movements of unit 2/16; it will be an interesting piece of research given I have a name in the helmet.

Regards, Ramsgate88