Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

M42 LW helmet

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi again,

I've been on a mission to find a m42 luftwaffe helmet and now I have this helmet on hold for me. I just would like to have a confirmation (or at least an opinion) from You guys it is an original M42 Luftwaffe helmet.

ET64, LOT2013

Thanks !

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Good eagle , good liner. I do find the outside color odd. Maybe badly photographed.  Usually these have a dark grey color. Inside color looks fine.

Quote from schwerpunkt73 on February 13, 2021, 3:33 pm

Good eagle , good liner. I do find the outside color odd. Maybe badly photographed.  Usually these have a dark grey color. Inside color looks fine.

Outside color looks greenish because of the lightning and photography. Same thing can be seen in ET64 and Lot Number photos. It is always hard for sellers to take proper photos...

But the main thing, Decal and Liner are both good and original. Shell outer color is pretty much the same as interior color except the rough texture outside.

do I get green light to buy this ? 😃

It appears to have been sprayed with a lacquer of some sort...not oil or anything greasy. But something to make it glossier than what is expected on this type example. Not sure if that is a liability for you or not.

Other than that, I see no problems

Thanks, D

Quote from SilverVeteran on February 13, 2021, 4:19 pm
Quote from schwerpunkt73 on February 13, 2021, 3:33 pm

Outside color looks greenish because of the lightning and photography. Same thing can be seen in ET64 and Lot Number photos. It is always hard for sellers to take proper photos...

But the main thing, Decal and Liner are both good and original. Shell outer color is pretty much the same as interior color except the rough texture outside.

do I get green light to buy this ? 😃

Decal and liner are indeed good and original - but what is going on with the exterior? Is it some kind of lacquer / oil - or is it just really bad lighting? I would ask for further photos taken outside but not in direct sunlight.

You want to be sure, and IMO i would not purchase if it has something applied to the shell.

nick

Quote from David C. on February 13, 2021, 4:49 pm

It appears to have been sprayed with a lacquer of some sort...not oil or anything greasy. But something to make it glossier than what is expected on this type example. Not sure if that is a liability for you or not.

Other than that, I see no problems

Thanks, D

+1 . same thoughts here

Looks like a stacking ring "after" the varnish was applied. A bit odd...

The shell liner and strap look good.
The thing that concerns me is the shiny appearance. Ive not seen any “unmessed with” 42s that shiny finish before.........

I would ask for some pics in natural light to get a better idea tbh.
so as per what the experts have said ........

Hi,

You guys were 100% right about this helmet. I got it so reasonable price I did not mind about the weird exterior looks. When I got it at home it became clear it had been spray-lacquered... I decided to use acetone to wipe away the lacquer.

now this helmet looks like this. There is a photo of how it looked, while wiping it with acetone and before/after comparison.

Any advices or ideas how to get the lacquer away from the decal ? I dont dare to touch it with acetone. Maybe better to leave like this and accept the a but ruined decal ?

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I'm not aware of anything you can do. Any attempt will ruin the decal.

Page 1 of 2Next