Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Quist 66 SD SS Helmet

Trying to find information on this helmet. According to the lot number databases this is, indeed, an actual Quist SD SS Helmet. But how I came about finding it and the circumstances I'm hoping those here can help me out. First off, everything I'm about to say is what happened and I'm not embellishing.

Back in Feb 2020 before the pandemic I visited a local antique store near Syracuse and spotted an M40 helmet. It had a semi gloss green paint. Figurinh it was a good candiate for for restoration I purchased the helmet. Once in the car,  I thought I could see an outline of a shield so after returning home I carefully used lacquer thinner (stupid on my part now looking back at it) to remove the paint over the area which I found the SS runes. I bought a can of much less caustic acetone and carefully spent a few hours removing the rest of the paint.

I found this site while trying to find out if this was an real SD SS Helmet or a fake. The code is Q66 T1206 which I found a match and the information correlated with what I was seeing on the helmet.

I attempted to sell it on Gunbroker, but after accepting a BO, the buyer got skittish and asked for an outside consultation from a one Kelly Hicks (I'm hearing the groaning now but I didn't know about this guy until now). He stated the helmet is real but made the claim that the paint was original as well, stating it was field applied. The thing is if it was field applied back during the war then how would this site have information on it especially the state of the SD on the helmet's side that was painted over.

Now I'm trying to separate fact from fiction on this, especially when it comes to the original field applied paint claim. Does anyone have any information on this? I know this is a needle in a haystack but I would like to find out the truth on it.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Lot numbers are just steel plate numbers so they made XXX number of helmets from one steel plate which means XXX number of helmets have similar lot numbers. (the green colored ones on my list are similar helmets I have seen and logged).

So yours is not the one in the list. I rarely add overpaints as it is important for the list that the decal can be authenticated.

From what I am seeing it doesn't look like wartime overpaint to me.

Can you get a much better / sharper straight up photo of the decal? Like the ones I take , it's best way to identify them.

Quote from schwerpunkt73 on October 26, 2021, 7:56 pm

Can you get a much better / sharper straight up photo of the decal? Like the ones I take , it's best way to identify them.

Sure thing. Here are some close ups of the decal

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Quote from schwerpunkt73 on October 26, 2021, 7:56 pm

Lot numbers are just steel plate numbers so they made XXX number of helmets from one steel plate which means XXX number of helmets have similar lot numbers. (the green colored ones on my list are similar helmets I have seen and logged).

I see now. So the helmet was part of Lot T1206 and it was X out XXXX many manufactured in that group. So the question now that remains is the decal real or a post war manufactured and applied.

Not the best close ups but it could be indeed an original SS.

I agree with Frank, i don't think about a war period paint from the first pictures as well. I also see a squeezed liner band which raises question whether it is the original which belonged to this very helmet.

Quote from sysyphus on October 26, 2021, 9:49 pm

Not the best close ups but it could be indeed an original SS.

Sorry about the close ups. We're in the middle of a Nor'Easter where I'm at. I'll try and get better close up when I get home from work tonight.

I like what I see of the decal but of course the overpaint and removal did no good for the collectability of the helmet. So genuine SS but ruined by the passage of time.