Please or Register to create posts and topics.

WWI Helmet Identification Help

Hello all!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify my two helmets. I was deployed to Afghanistan from 2013 - 2014 and purchased these two items from an Afghan bazar vendor who claimed they were WWI German helmets that were later used by the Afghan army after WWI. I purchased one smaller one and one larger helmet. I forgot what I paid for them, but I haven't tried to do any research on them until recently.

What I can tell so far is that the larger one looks Austro-Hungarian from the rivets but I can't tell what the smaller one is as I can't find any examples of the positioning of the bottom rivet. I also can't find any markings on the instead, so they are either fake, very faded, or painted over a lot. I also honestly don't know where exactly to look anyway.

Can anyone tell me anything about these helmets from the photos I attached? If you need a photo of a specific part, please let me know.

Thank you much!

Adam

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

The larger helmet does look Austrian M17. The other is a German M16.

The Afghans did buy surplus helmets and affixed a badge to the side of the helmet. This can be seen on your examples but the two pin holes near the rivets.

Here is an example with the badge (the badge is a repro but it gives you the idea) as well as a photo of the Afghan army in the 1950's wearing them.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-steel-helmets/ground-dug-afghan-helmet-129838/

Uploaded files:

Thank you! That's very interesting to know that my helmets once had badges on them.

Can you tell me why it seems like the bottom rivet on the German helmet seems so high up? Was that normal?

Also, would you be able to point me in the direction of how much they might be worth or any other examples of them?

Finally, I can't find any reliable guides on where to pinpoint markings on the inside of WWI German helmets. Do you know of any resources that would help me with that? I can't see anything on mine but if I know where to look it might help.

Respectfully,

Adam

Quote from MAP on November 19, 2021, 3:56 am

The larger helmet does look Austrian M17. The other is a German M16.

The Afghans did buy surplus helmets and affixed a badge to the side of the helmet. This can be seen on your examples but the two pin holes near the rivets.

Here is an example with the badge (the badge is a repro but it gives you the idea) as well as a photo of the Afghan army in the 1950's wearing them.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-steel-helmets/ground-dug-afghan-helmet-129838/

I had a typo. The German helmet is an M18. It lacks the chinstrap lug.

Quote from adammg89 on November 19, 2021, 4:46 am
  1. Can you tell me why it seems like the bottom rivet on the German helmet seems so high up? Was that normal?
  2. Also, would you be able to point me in the direction of how much they might be worth or any other examples of them?
  3. Finally, I can't find any reliable guides on where to pinpoint markings on the inside of WWI German helmets. Do you know of any resources that would help me with that? I can't see anything on mine but if I know where to look it might help.

To answer your questions

1. Are you talking about the rivet I have circled in the photo below? If so, most likely the Afghans added a different liner system that necessitated adding a rivet.
  2. We don't provide monetary evaluations. These helmets are hard to find and an interesting chapter in the life of these helmets but I don't think they have much value. Especially in semi relic condition like this.
  3. There should be a steel lot # stamp on the inside dome of the helmet. The maker and size stamping should be on the lower inside skirt (left side when wearing the helmet) where the chinstrap lug would be.

Again, the German helmet is an M18. Not an M16 as I incorrectly noted in my first post

Uploaded files:

Thank you for the additional information!

• Yes, the photo you circled is what I was talking about. However, I'm not sure it's simply due to the Afghans adding a new rivet because I don't see any other hole below that that would indicate where the original rivet was. Do you know how this might be explained?
  • I completely understand about the valuation. I wasn't so much asking for an estimate more than perhaps a link to other similar helmets so I can have an idea.

Thank you again.

The M18 , right helmet would not have another hole below for a rivet as the D rings were attached to the liner band , this was an improvement over the M16 helmet.

You can see the difference between shells here :

Combat models and makers – German Helmet Vault

Here's an M18 in its WW1 configuration. (post war chinstrap)

Uploaded files:
Quote from adammg89 on November 19, 2021, 10:40 pm

Thank you for the additional information!

• Yes, the photo you circled is what I was talking about. However, I'm not sure it's simply due to the Afghans adding a new rivet because I don't see any other hole below that that would indicate where the original rivet was. Do you know how this might be explained?

Thank you again.

If you see the example of the M18 that Frank posted, you can see the original rivet placement for the original liner. The helmet you showed now has two extra holes (on on each side (not sure about the rear). It is my best "guess" that these two additional holes were added by the Afghans to add a different liner system. Or maybe to add a different mounting for their own chin straps. But as it is only a shell it is difficult to determine which.

Thank you everyone for the information!