- Transitional and medium duty ‘Edelstahl’ helmets are the 2 helmets types I so far have observed of being used by the Bahnschutz.
- All Bahnschutz helmets are re-purposed helmets , meaning they were re-painted and re-decalled outside the factory. The dome was never painted and still has the first color.
- Most are probably ex Heer or ex Polizei helmets , you can see traces of decals on the 2 sides under the Bahnschutz decals.
- Bahnschutz decals have the exact same signature as other period Third Reich decals when magnified with a USB microscope.
- Collectors also believe Black painted transitional helmets with Heer decals may have a Bahnschutz link. You can see such a helmet here.
Eisenhüttenwerke Thale (ET) size 66 – M16 Bahnschutz
- This is a rare Bahnschutz “railroad security” helmet
- Has the typical grey overpaint , note the shadow of the previous decals can be seen under the Bahnschutz decals.
- Of note is that the helmet was not painted black under the leather
Photos courtesy of Sysyphus
Unidentified maker – Austrian M17
- A rare black helmet with Pocher decals on top of the black paint , probably this is an Ex SS helmet that was re-used for the Bahnshutz or it was repainted for the Bahnschutz.
- Black Austrian helmets like this where used by the SS in the early TR period
- It has the second type WW1 steel liner band
- The interior crown of the helmet has the original light green paint
- The decal is the Pocher type
Unmarked medium duty Edelstahl helmet – size 64
- I also refer to these helmets as Edelstahl helmets. Often they carry the Edelstahl stamp.
- Repainted in the typical grey for the Bahnschutz , originally this helmet was a green Polizei or SS decalled helmet , shadows of the previous decals can be seen.
- The dome of the helmet has still the Original green color
- The USB close-ups clearly show the same signature as all other period decals. Same pulver and wavy print lines like with Heer, RAD , SS , Luftschutz , Polizei , etc..
Unmarked medium duty Edelstahl helmet – size 66
- Here we have another Edelstahl overpainted helmet with Original green paint in the dome.
- It carries the Methner and Burger decal which is one of the expected decals for reissued helmets.
- The paint color color and it’s general appearance does suspect this helmet would have been used by the Bahnschutz although other uses can’t be excluded just yet.