- Factory paint color will differ between the helmet makers.
- Patina will in some cases make the paint look green rather than blue/grey.
- Exist as double decal (M35 , M17/18) , single decal (M35 , M40 , M42) and without decal (M40 Quist and M42).
- The Snake leg and Straight leg decal are always found on M35’s.
- The so-called 2nd type adler is found on all models.
- Decal application flaws are often spotted on Luftwaffe helmets.
- Early M35 helmets often have unit stamps on the underside of the liner leather. Always look with caution !
- Chinstraps can have an LBA stamp (Luftwaffe Bekleidungs Ampt).
Look in the Decals sub menu for details on Luftwaffe decals.
SCROLL DOWN FOR EXAMPLES OF DIFFERENT HELMETS
QUIST M35 , size 64 SNAKE LEG DECAL
- Lotnumber 5174
- 1936 dated liner band
- 1937 dated dome stamp
- Typical for early Luftwaffe helmets it has unit markings at the back of the leather.Be careful when hunting for such markings not to damage the leather.
- Also typical are the application flaws of the bird decal.
EISENHUTTENWERKE M35 , size 66 STRAIGHT LEG DECAL
- Lotnumber 3862
- 1938 Dated liner band
- Smeared dome stamp
- Has a green sheen to the paint due to the patina
- LBA marked chinstrap
SACHSISCHE EMAILLIER UND STANZWERKE M35 , size 64 2ND TYPE ADLER
- Lotnumber 4283
- 1939 Dated liner band
- Faint dome stamp
Maker and size pending from the owner , rare green Luftwaffe decal
- 1937 dated liner band
- The helmet was re-issued / repainted and received a rare green LW decal which is believed to have been made to replace the white eagles which may have been too visible in the field.
- On top of that it comes with the original net , a very rare combination
Photos courtesy of Langemarck
QUIST M35 , size 68 2ND TYPE ADLER
- 1939 Dated liner band
- Lot number 21441
- Was originally a double decal but was brought in line with 1940 specifications and got a rough overpaint and a single decal.
Emaillierwerke A.G. Fulda (EF) size 64 – M40
- Lot number 1481
- Has the typical EF eagle
Photos courtesy of Sysyphus
SACHSISCHE EMAILLIER UND STANZWERKE M40 , size 62 2ND TYPE ADLER
- Lot number 9987
- Liner band date unreadable.
- Rough exterior paint , note the smooth painted rivet heads.
EISENHUTTENWERKE M42 , size ?? 2ND TYPE ADLER
- Lot number 1982
- Liner band date not readable , leather is 1941 dated
- Size stamp unreadable it is either a 66 or 68 sized helmet
- Non oval dome stamp present
Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke (NS) size 64 – M42
- Lot number 3272
- Has the typical NS decal
- Received some serious battle damage which the owner may not have survived