Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

Nervous Newbie inherited unusual painted stahlhelm #2of2… collector’s item or creative artistic statement project?!? 🙂

If you read my first post about another oddball stahlhelm, you’ll just know more about stuff by my rambling story, of sorts, and you’ll see the 1st weird helmet. Here’s the 2nd one, which I can only come up with it being an M34 “salt shaker” civic stahlhelm? Maybe police or fire? Or is the rim curved a little differently? Air raid protection for factory workers? I can’t find anything that remotely resembles an intentional marking anywhere on it. The ‘paint job’ has me quite perplexed. I don’t know really what I’m looking at except possibly partly hand painted/partly stenciled Nazi logos centered on each side. The paint actually looks quite old to me, but to be completely honest I have no knowledge except what my eyes see to say this. It could be a 30 year old used and abused paint job, or wartime, or postwar….I have NOT A CLUE. I also can’t tell if anything is under the ‘logos’. Doesn’t seem so, but I have no way of knowing at the moment. Thanks again for looking! Especially if you took the time and checked out both stahlhelms I posted! I’m open for what anyone has to offer, and I appreciate y’all’s time!

Have a great day!

~Jaime Weiland

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

A few more pics … I try different lighting sometimes to try to show color and things as well as possible..

Thanks for looking!

~Jaime W.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Jaime, this one is also a head scratcher.  The insignias are obviously not factory done but the big question is when.  I personally cannot see this being done during the war, what would be the purpose?  There may or may not be police and party shield decals under the painted insignia, most of these had decals but not all.  Like the other one, it may be a biker helmet painted up in the '60's when a lot of this stuff was "fashionable" to use as a protest against the establishment.  Anyway, the shell is original and one of the many shell styles you see.  Not all of them had a manufacture mark or size, unlike combat helmets that were always marked.  The black paint does appear to be original factory paint.  I'd leave this one as is also.  Consider it a piece of history and the markings part of its history.

Cheers, Terry

Quote from helmetguy on December 13, 2022, 4:37 pm

Jaime, this one is also a head scratcher.  The insignias are obviously not factory done but the big question is when.  I personally cannot see this being done during the war, what would be the purpose?  There may or may not be police and party shield decals under the painted insignia, most of these had decals but not all.  Like the other one, it may be a biker helmet painted up in the '60's when a lot of this stuff was "fashionable" to use as a protest against the establishment.  Anyway, the shell is original and one of the many shell styles you see.  Not all of them had a manufacture mark or size, unlike combat helmets that were always marked.  The black paint does appear to be original factory paint.  I'd leave this one as is also.  Consider it a piece of history and the markings part of its history.

Cheers, Terry

Cannot add anything here , thank you Terry 🙂