Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

Luftwaffe M40 three tone camouflage

Page 1 of 2Next

Beautiful combat worn so called ‘Normandy pattern’ camouflage helmet with traces of removed chicken wire. The helmet started as a single decal blue colored Luftwaffe helmet. In the war it got painted with chunky sand mixed thick tan colored paint. Afterwards it got spray painted in three tone (red/green/tan) paint and it received a full basket chickenwire. The helmet was well worn and my best guess the chicken wire did not last long and was removed. Under the paint a ghost of the Luftwaffe eagle is still visible. Just next to it, a clear bullet dent is visible. The liner is untouched and the pins are straight, the steel band shows some dents from the chickenwire that was once there. The leather itself is a little dry but still supple and strong. The genuine draw string is still in place. A faded name and/or unit mark are partially visible in the rear of the helmet. Marked on the side SE64 and in the rear 8977. Beautiful and honest combat worn camouflage helmet!

What is your opinion about the steel helmet?!

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Pictures

Uploaded files:

What do you think first about this helmet ?

A lot to discuss with this one for me.

I don't have the time to discuss it now with details..i'll be back later

???? Was meint Ihr? Ein guter Helm????

Uploaded files:
Quote from sysyphus on November 17, 2020, 11:53 am

What do you think first about this helmet ?

A lot to discuss with this one for me.

I don't have the time to discuss it now with details..i'll be back later

???

Yes... i am very busy these days thus i don't have the time to follow properly.

Did you realize there is a swastika above the visor to start with ?

My question to you Mathesmainz wasn't provocative but really wanted to know what you think of this helmet. The fact that you posted asking opinion on this or other camo helmets leads me to wonder if you have some experience or not.

Uploaded files:
Quote from sysyphus on November 19, 2020, 11:06 pm

Yes... i am very busy these days thus i don't have the time to follow properly.

Did you realize there is a swastika above the visor to start with ?

My question to you Mathesmainz wasn't provocative but really wanted to know what you think of this helmet. The fact that you posted asking opinion on this or other camo helmets leads me to wonder if you have some experience or not.

Hallo,

ich bin kein Experte bei Tarnhelmen. In meiner Sammlung sind hauptsächlich "normale" blaugraue Luftwaffen-Stahlhelme. Ich möchte meine Sammlung um Tarnhelme erweitern - deshalb die Fragen. Was bedeutet das Hakenkreuz - das ist mir nicht aufgefallen. Ist der Helm ein fake oder ok?

anyone interested in commenting on the authenticity of this helmet?

it has an attractive look but i would like to hear opinions; here some points to reflect on.

1. looking at the deeper and smoother footprints left the net must already have been on top of the helmet when it was camouflaged with the chuncky sand, which is in contrast on what has been said:

...In the war it got painted with chunky sand mixed thick tan colored paint. Afterwards it got spray painted in three tone (red/green/tan) paint and it received a full basket chickenwire...

The net therefore had to be well adherent between the forehead area and the curve of the viewer to leave those obvious imprints.
A full tight net in that area is quite unusual to see.

2. To see the footprint of the network it had to be one with smaller areas than usual.

3. the ding must have happened before otherwise the camouflage paint would have blown off; of a note it seems no depth of patina in this depression but rather uniform with the rest of the paint all over the helmet.

4. in camos with net (and formerly netted) where there was the net usually a lighter and not darker trace remains, due to the fact that it gets less dirty beneath the wire, protecting the colors in some way (resulting therefore light as they were originally); here we see the opposite meaning darker where they supposed to be lighter.

5. it looks strange how chuncky and 3 colors are chipped alike. in other words you don't see anything of the chunky sand alone underneath the 3 colors.

6. the band is wavy but we see no ghosting of any kind left by the wire on the skirt.

7. the rivets show no wear underlaying (only the camo paint that is chipped away).

8. the back rivet: prongs inside look flat and longer.

9. There appears to be very unbalanced wear between the dome and the rest of the helmet.

10. the wear all along the rim looks weird and looks faded leaving the tan visible all the same way

10. that swastika on the front? is that playing war postwar ?

Uploaded files:

10 points on one helmet by Andrea that’s just “ok” is 10 too many. 1 point would be enough for me to pass.  I would pass on this one friend.

And it seems Andrea is very busy and took a lot of time and care consulting and offering advice on your helmet. Perhaps try Wehrmacht awards or war relics forums for more opinions.
Z

From the photos I would not buy this one. The damage areas look very uniform and clean.

Page 1 of 2Next