Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

M35 SS semi relic.

PreviousPage 4 of 4

Sorry I also commented on WRF , but can you do a 200x zoom close-up of the silver pulver area ?

The system glitched and would only allow one picture from the usb.

As for me, cleaning dirt and rust off to reveal the original decals and paint does nothing to detract from a helmet and the process is no different from a museum displaying an artifact.

The acid may have changed the color slightly but the recovery pictures clearly show grey over green prior to cleaning. The history behind that or why there were two decals placed over the repaint is a mystery at the moment, but it does exist and provides something to examine further.

In my opinion this helmet represents the apex of recovered helmets and shows a story and long history from a violent battle, being discarded for decades, discovery, recovery and finally preserved and displayed for the next generation to examine and learn from history.

Assuming the decal turns out to be good....

I may be in the minority here, but I still feel that this is not a repaint. I think the darker areas are in fact the same paint as the grey. Maybe the acid didn't penetrate and these darker areas have just been rubbed down or scratched a bit reveling the darker origianl color.

Map

That is something I considered when examining the shell but there are too many places that clearly show the green under grey and if the acid changed the surface color, the scratches under the removed decal would be first to change. Here is a close up of a scratch that damaged the left side of the SS where the apple green can easily be seen along with decal, lacquer and grey paint. Sorry in advance for my crap USB Microscope resolution.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

That picture also shows "white" spots all over the paint. To the eye they shine like metal and I'm assuming it's aluminum power in the paint. The usb is digitizing the photo and the shine is lost, same thing is happening to the decal.

Schwerpunkt

Here is the best I can do with my current microscope. I tried to focus on areas that clearly show the layers of decal damage, lacquer and paint. Unfortunately the digital distortion reduces luster.

Uploaded files:

Comparison of my M35 and M42 both size 66. Also a close up of the middle left apex, right side rune for a USB reference.

Uploaded files:
PreviousPage 4 of 4