Click on the banner to join the excellent German Helmet Walhalla forum where you can chat with hundreds of collectors from all over the world. See you there.

M35 SS semi relic.

Page 1 of 4Next

Hello everyone.

My first post on this forum but I've been using and appreciating the resources here for the last two years.

I just decided to purchase this M35 SS semi relic helmet. I posted a help link on warrelics with no response and was given the link at wehrmacht awards where apparently it had been discussed earlier this month.

Everything looked correct to me, paint and rust transition zones, pre and post cleaning photos match up and I did as many overlays of original ET runes as I could find. The helmet is Marked ET66 with what I believe to be 4337 as a lot number.Hopefully didn't make a mistake with this one but I'm looking forward examining this helmet.

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hello and welcome.

The key point is the decal here. so until we can't see a straight quality close up of it, the discussion will not reach the point.

do we have two layers of paint here? (left side)

Correct Andrea.

FurryRhino . . . We need a shot like this please, otherwise it cannot be evaluated correctly

Michael

Uploaded files:

Hello gentlemen.

Yes when it arrives I will take and post as many pictures as needed and include USB microscope. These are the two best I have at the moment, obviously not HD but they show the areas.

As for the paint, it does look as though the helmet has two layers, grey over green.

Uploaded files:

That's the tough thing with ground found helmets , you often,lack good reference points. Those are needed to connect the dots , especially in the minefield that are SS helmets.

One thing is that at least we know maker and lot number , the other thing is that the decal resembles the ET style one. But the paint color which probably changed because of chemicals used to remove the rust makes the whole look very unnatural.

I would only be comfortable be giving a verdict when seeing it with USB close-ups. But that said I think it has a good chance of being ok (on WAF at first sight I disliked it).

Quote from schwerpunkt73 on February 25, 2020, 8:40 pm

.....But the paint color which probably changed because of chemicals used to remove the rust makes the whole look very unnatural....

I agree Frank. And always a much lighter shade.

Trying to move the discussion to this thread from warrelics. Below is a quote of my last post there.

"Interestingly enough my first relic helmet, found in a completely different area, has paint hues very similar to this helmet, only textured and reversed with green over grey. I think the color change is a combination of old over exposed paint and acid etching leaving behind a chalky residue that significantly distorts the original color.
I'm going to buy a few uncleaned relics to experiment with the effects of the acid and a post cleaning wax to see if it brings back the luster of the paint."

Uploaded files:

Collage

Uploaded files:

I thought as well at first that the use of chemical might have changed the feldgrau but then why looks like we have another green "into" the scratches ? is that a bad postwar handling once the treatment was done?

At the moment i can't see red flags on that decal either. Graphics of runes and edges look ok. One thing i like is the empty space left by the lacquer (gone) around the decal on some areas.

Waiting for extra pics then....

Daarom on warrelics provided me with the link below. The thread shows a M35 DD with a very similar hue to mine.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-helmet-forum/waffen-ss-m35-double-decal-et64-helmet-i-would-appreciate-any-opinions-comments-242363/

Page 1 of 4Next